[ltp] Thinkpad T520 SSD place question

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Jun 19 09:07:53 CEST 2018

Hi.

Иван Ниагара - 18.06.18, 07:58:
> My T520 Lenovo Thinkpad notebook has one HDD drive in hard disk drive
> slot. I have a new SSD and a HDD caddy which I received from
> Aliexpress.
>
> I planning install SSD and use both drive - SSD for system, HDD for
> media data.
>
> My operating system is Linux Mint 18.3.
>
> And now I have a question - what is the best place for SSD and for
> HDD? On the one hand it's better install SSD to hard disk drive slot,
> and HDD to ultrabay.

I have two SSDs in a ThinkPad T520. One 300GB Intel SSD 320 in the
harddrive slot and one 480 GB Crucial m500 SSD in the mSATA slot.

The harddisk slot in the Thinkpad T520 does SATA-600. The mSATA slot
only does SATA-300. Also… you have two MiniPCI slots one mSATA capable.
So if you have a wireless card in one and a WWAN card in the other one,
there is no slot free for an mSATA SSD.

I do not know whether the ultrabay slot can do SATA-600. For a CD/DVD
burner it would not be required.

> On the other hand - I remember two things:
>
>    - Thinkpad models have "Spill resistant keyboard", and I suppose
> they have special route for liquid outside hard disk drive place. I
> don't know anything about spill protection ultrabay area.

I have no idea about this.

>    - Thinkpad notebooks have an "Acive Protection System" (airbag)
> also. Is this technology will work for HDD in ultrabay slot? Is this
> technology support only windows operation system?

As its usually a software component reading out the sensors for this
(hdapsd with tp-smapi kernel module), I think this will work in case you
can configure which drive it will park. I would be surprised if it could
not.

> Are there someone who have an experience for install on thinkpad two
> kind of dive?
> What is the better way?

As I wanted to keep the CD/DVD burner, I chose the mSATA slot.

Maybe you can finde about the exact specs of the slots in some technical
specification PDF for the ThinkPad T520.

ThinkWiki often was a good starting point, but at least

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T520

lacks the necessary detail.

Thanks,
--