[ltp] Lenovo Thinkpad 11e: F12 & Fn keys

Kim Blewett (gm) kblewett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 20:22:15 CEST 2019

Hello Maurice,

I don't see any more answers to your question. Can you use the other
F-keys in their Linux F-assignments without simultaneously pressing Fn?
For example, in Ubuntu Alt+F2 should open a command box, but you might
have to also hold down the Fn key; plain Alt+F2 might be volume-down. I
don't have an 11e in front of me right now, but on the two Lenovo
laptops I have, the default functions assigned to the Fn keys are
printed as large icons on the keys: brightness up/down, audio
up/down/mute, etc. To get the actual F1-F12 functions you must
simultaneously press the Fn key; you can tell whether your laptop is set
up this way by whether "F1" "F2" etc is printed smaller than the "mute"
"volume down" etc icons on the keys.

But if this is the case you should be able to toggle-switch these two
sets of functions: On the two Thinkpads I have here, the Esc key has
"FnLk" printed in small letters. If I hold Fn while pressing Esc, the
F1-F12 functions become primary and the other functions become
secondary; after which I must press Fn+"mute" to turn the sound off,
etc, but Alt+F2 (in Ubuntu) gives me the command box, etc. There's a
light on either the Esc or Fn key that is lit when the secondary
functions are active.

Does this explanation fit your computer's configuration? If your Esc key
has "FnLk" printed on it, try holding Fn while pressing Esc to toggle
the F-key function set, then see if F12 works as you want it to.

Kim