[ltp] Model??

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Aug 3 21:48:36 CEST 2019

	My Lenovo Thinkpad (probably a 2017 or 2018 model), running
Fedora Linux 30, is having connection problems -- and I don't know where
to find its designation so that I can ask more specifically. Where would
that info be? (Maybe I'm looking right at it and don't know I am.)

	In case this problem is known to be common on more than one
model, here's a stab. At first it did just fine. Then it stopped, saying
"Disconnected," and kept saying that, regardless what wifi I tried to get
it to use. (There is one LAN, hidden, which I set up years ago, with a
password. There are two whose names match defaults on my router; I tried
both. There is one calling itself "xfinity wifi," which could be mine,
inasmuch as I get my Net access from Comcast, which calls itself by that
name.)

	I moved the ethernet cable from the router to another machine
(which was connecting just fine, and is again) and plugged it into the
Thinkpad. No joy. I tried again to get it to connect wirelessly: no joy.

	I swapped it with an oldish netbook, putting it where that had
been (and had connected normally to wifi). The netbook is still
connecting, wirelessly, to my wifi from the Thinkpad's old position, and
the Thinkpad is still failing from the netbook's old position.

	What I know of hardware would go into a gnat's eye, and not
inconvenience the gnat. I suspect what I'm seeing is a hardware problem,
and I should just take it to the shop. Is that so? Or could I have
stumbled into some misconfiguration? Or do I need to provide specifics as
to the machine, and how do I find them?
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.