[ltp] X60 and weird display problems

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jan 11 20:45:55 CET 2019

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 02:14:22PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I recently repaired an old X60 (which was left unused for several years
> because of a broken LCD panel, and was running Windows earlier).
>
> It works well, except for one problem:
> Any idea what might be going on?

Presumably you replaced the LCD panel.  The replacement
might have different specifications, and the BIOS might
not work correctly with it.  Another hardware-related
possibility is that the flex cable or connector has an
intermittent connection.  Try wiggling and reseating it.

Years ago, I deployed a few T60 laptops, and replaced
the 1600x1200 screens with aftermarket 2048*1536 screens.
I had to modify the laptop BIOS so they would boot, and
install a higher current backlight driver.

That worked with Linux (RHEL/CentOS), but the T60 graphics
processor struggled to paint all those pixels, and it ran
down the battery faster.  For static images, beautiful.

For most practical, portable work, I still use X61s.
And I'm slowly depleting the spares stockpile.

I applaud your initiative to dive deep into the hardware,
and your efforts to keep these fine old machines running.
Often this requires more than one attempt to succeed.
The attempts teach us to be better innovators, so what
you learn is as important as what you create.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com