[ltp] What T for Fedora?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Jan 13 12:29:02 CET 2019

"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com> writes:

> Big ones tend to be more user-serviceable: removeable batteries, RAM,
> HDD, M.2 disks, keyboards, ...

This is a bit off-topic, but...

I'd like to add that old Thinkpads tend to be more serviceable than new
Thinkpads.  The X301 I had before the 4th gen X1 Carbon I have now was
exceptionally easy to service, for a laptop that was *the* small
Thinkpad when it was new. The battery was of course replacable without
tools at all, and the keyboard, RAM, WiFi, 3G modem, SSD, and DVD-writer
were all just 1-3 screws away. The hardest part you might have to
replace was the CPU fan assmebly.  But I cannot imagine how even that
could have been made easier. It might not be officially user-replacable,
but it was doable in practice even for an amateur like me.

The X1 Carbon is something entirely differet.  The RAM cannot be
replaced at all.  The battery, SSD, WiFi, and LTE modem can be replaced
by removing 9-10 screws "only".  But what really surprised me was the
keyboard. The fact that it started falling apart after only 2 years of
use is one thing.  That's not what I expect from a Thinkpad.  But
finding that you have to literally disassemble the whole laptop to get
to it was worse. It was the first part to be worn out in my experience,
and it is one of the parts that are hardest to replace.  Not impressive
design.

Luckily I found that I had inadvertently bought 3 years of on-site
service.  And Lenovo had no problem accepting keys falling off as
covered by that agreement.  The service guy showed up on time and
replaced the keyboard while I was waiting.  This took him about half an
hour.  The reason it didn't take longer was because the new keyboard
came already mounted on the top shell, so he didn't have to remove and
replace the 50+ screws holding those two parts together...

My X1 Carbon is therefore now in its 3rd shell. Maybe it's a lobster?
The first shell didn't make it through a motorcycle crash.  Cannot blame
Lenovo for that. The motorcycle and guard rail it hit didn't make it
either.

Bjørn