[ltp] X60/61 battery replacements

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri May 24 02:12:26 CEST 2019

I hope to keep my X61 laptops (with REAL keyboards) going
until I can replace the motherboards with the 51nb "X63"
i5 upgrades and the screen backlights with LED.  My goals
are "tall screen 4x3" and "real keyboards" for life.

The weakest link is the batteries.  Kahlon, my favorite
supplier, can no longer purchase reliable third-party
batteries recognizable by Lenovo's finicky firmware.

That may not be a problem for the X63, but I want a
battery solution for a trip four weeks from now.

So:

1) Does anyone know of a reliable battery supplier
with new stock /known to work/ with the X60/X61 ?

or,

2) Does anyone know of a RELIABLE X61 firmware hack that
makes the X61 more tolerant of well-made third party
batteries?  This is riskier; batteries are bombs, and a
badly-done firmware hack can bring down an airliner.
So --- I strongly prefer option 1.

I realize there is a temptation to chatter about similar
problems, but if you change the subject, please change
the title.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com