[ltp] X60 and weird display problems

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Aug 8 14:36:59 CEST 2020

More than a year ago, I wrote:
>> I recently repaired an old X60 (which was left unused for several years
>> because of a broken LCD panel, and was running Windows earlier).
>> It works well, except for one problem:
>> Any idea what might be going on?

To which Keith Lofstrom replied:
> Presumably you replaced the LCD panel.

Yes.

> The replacement might have different specifications, and the BIOS
> might not work correctly with it.  Another hardware-related
> possibility is that the flex cable or connector has an intermittent
> connection.  Try wiggling and reseating it.

Thanks.  This diagnostic matches fairly well my symptoms.

I tried fiddling with the cable, opened&re-connected the LCD panel, but
that didn't help.  The problem sometimes shows up directly at boot, so
it's clearly not related to the OS installed on the machine.

In any case, since I can work around the problem with (one or more)
suspend+resume, I just live with it :-(

        Stefan