[ltp] thinkpad X1 7th o 8th generation

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Aug 11 10:52:43 CEST 2020

"D.T." <danter at iki.fi> writes:

> On Wed, 2020-08-05 at 16:28 +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>
>> I a friend of mine wants to buy a Thinkpad X1 and install Linux (most
>> likely Ubuntu 20) on it. I have a Thinkpad X1 4th generation  running
>> Ubuntu 16.04 without any problems, but I want to be sure that 8th
>> generation is supported by Linux, best Ubuntu.
>>

> https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/models?query=x1&category=Laptop&level=&vendors=LenovoHTH.

That's completely useless in my experience.  It just means that you
might be able to boot Ubuntu.  Which you already knew.  It's very hard
to prevent...

The Ubuntu certification does not answer any of the important questions:
Which hardware parts will work

 - out-of-the-box?
 - after installing proprietary firmware?
 - after installing out-of-tree drivers?
 - after sacrificing your first-born?
 - never ever

Look for user experiences with typical "problem hardware" like
fingerprint readers and LTE modems.

Note that all issues with LTE modems on Lenovo laptops the last few
years have been deliberately added by Lenovo system specific design.
The modems used by Lenovo would have worked in other systems.  And the
Lenovo systems could also have been made to work with other modems.
There are no technical or regulatory reasons for the BIOS restrictions
added by Lenovo.

So there is no point in validating the modems they use.  You need to
validate the complete system.  Lenovo have proven that they are capable
of breaking anything in their attempt to lock down hardware, and that
they are unable or unwilling to fix the issues they cause by doing this.

Bjørn