[ltp] thinkpad X1 7th o 8th generation

Florian Reitmeir florian at reitmeir.org
Sat Aug 15 12:56:56 CEST 2020

Hi,

Am 11.08.2020 um 10:52 schrieb Bjørn Mork:

> That's completely useless in my experience.  It just means that you
> might be able to boot Ubuntu.  Which you already knew.  It's very hard
> to prevent...
>
> The Ubuntu certification does not answer any of the important questions:
> Which hardware parts will work
>
>   - out-of-the-box?
>   - after installing proprietary firmware?

i really believe there is no notebook out there which has no p-firmware.
BIOS/UEFI firmware for ssd's .. the claim is pretty useless.

>   - after installing out-of-tree drivers?
>   - after sacrificing your first-born?
>   - never ever

it is not the fault of an OEM, that da driver is not included in the
linux kernel.

> Look for user experiences with typical "problem hardware" like
> fingerprint readers and LTE modems.
>
> Note that all issues with LTE modems on Lenovo laptops the last few
> years have been deliberately added by Lenovo system specific design.
> The modems used by Lenovo would have worked in other systems.  And the
> Lenovo systems could also have been made to work with other modems.
> There are no technical or regulatory reasons for the BIOS restrictions
> added by Lenovo.
>
> So there is no point in validating the modems they use.  You need to
> validate the complete system.  Lenovo have proven that they are capable
> of breaking anything in their attempt to lock down hardware, and that
> they are unable or unwilling to fix the issues they cause by doing this.

hard claims. so lenovo should test every possible lte modem out there to
satisfy your needs?
you don't even know what they modified in the firmware/hardware and why.
thermal? regulatory?

i know law's like regulatory for WIFI and LTE are not the most loved
things, but they exist.

greetings