[ltp] Booting from thumbdrive...

D.T. summerjob at posteo.de
Sun Aug 23 10:33:39 CEST 2020

On Sun, 2020-08-23 at 12:28 +1200, cr wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 22:26:14 +0300
> "D.T." <summerjob at posteo.de> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2020-08-20 at 11:47 +1200, Zed wrote:
> > > My T450s does not have a DVD/CD drive, so I wrote an ISO for
> > > Gecko
> > > Linux to bootable USB thumb drive.
> >
> > How exactly did you do that please?
> > Commands issued, software used?
> > I have no idea what Gecko Linux means in this context.
>
> Respectfully, I guess you're a new user unfamiliar with the jargon?
> I can't speak for Zed (or help with his query), but in this context
> -
>
> Gecko Linux is a distro, or distribution, like Debian or Mint or
> Fedora
>
> 'an ISO' means an 'image' ('ISO') suitable for writing to a CD or DVD
> (or USB stick) in order to boot a computer off it.
>
> You download the ISO file from a suitable source, typically the
> distro's website, and write it to CD or USB using suitable
> software.
> For USB sticks, 'dd' usually works, but there are a number of
> programs
> to automate the process.
>
> For example, Debian has a page on the options here:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/ch04s03.html.en
>
> Most distros will have a guide on how to do it, or googling 'write
> Linux ISO to USB' will bring up more listings than you can shake a
> (USB)
> stick at.

I quoted wrong; I cut off the bit where they mentioned Linux Mint.
All in all it's unclear whether they want to install Linux Mint or
Gecko Linux, or Gecko alongside Mint, or something else.
Or how they tranfered the image to the thumb drive. Things can go wrong
there, hence me asking how exactly they did that.

Respectfully.