[ltp] Booting from thumbdrive...

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Aug 24 10:19:26 CEST 2020

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 01:44:24PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I wrote to the USB thumbdrive using the tools provided by the Linux Mint
>
> That's the bit that can fail if you don't know what you're doing
> (e.g. a naive user may just write the .iso as a normal file into
> a (typically VFAT) filesystem on the thumb drive).

Also, modern computers introduce choices like Legacy boot vs UEFI boot,
plus there's also Secure boot which I don't think Linux Mint supports.

Checking the BIOS/UEFI settings for various boot options might be a good
idea.  E.g. disable secure boot, and make sure both legacy and UEFI boot
are allowed.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Lisp-style macros [...] are to C-style macros what Emacs is to cat.
                -- Jacek Generowicz