[ltp] Booting from thumbdrive...

Zed zed at zed.net.nz
Wed Aug 26 02:39:43 CEST 2020

Bret Waldow <bcw1000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  G'day Zed,
> You are our eyes for this.  We can't know what you see if you don't write
> it, in picky complete detail.  Please don't ignore any of the questions
> assuming we would know your answer - we don't.
>
> Have you written a linux iso to a thumbdrive before and successfully
> booted it in a machine?

Yes, many times on my desktop but this is the first time on the T450s and I
was very surprised thst the option to boot from the thumbdrive w\eas not
shown.

> If so, did you use the same process you are using this time?

Yes

> "Complete close down and restart" might mean two things.  One
> would be a 'restart' without powering off ("Linux" closes down, but not
> the machine).  The other would be a complete power off operation, then
> using the power button to restart the machine.  Which do you mean, please?
> As the machine restarts, do you press any keys?  Which ones, when, and
> what do you see before and after you do?

The second optional is the one and, as instructed I pressened the Enter key
to get to the boot option. I saw a window asking me to Press F12.  Did so
and then the window offering me the options for boot.  On my machine those
were:

Windows Boot Manager (even thought Microsoft Windows is not installed on the
machine.  Probably left when I deleted Windows.)

USB-HDD which is an external USB-HDD formatted as a Data drive.  However,
this is highlighted and boots my normal LinuxMint system.  No! I do not know
why this happens because that drive is NOT bootable :-)

PCLan

> That's five questions, and if you give us the answers to all of them, then
> we can help you without wasting time on misunderstandings.  Thanks in
> advance. Regards,Bret

I look forward to the answer because I'm stumped!

Zed
--
Zed