[ltp] ThinkPad X1 Extreme

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Feb 27 18:11:32 CET 2020

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 10:40:24 +0100
"Axel Braun" <Axel.Braun at gmx.de> dijo:

>I'm currently considering to buy a X1 Extreme, to run with openSUSE
>Tumbleweed. As it has Nvidia Graphic on board one can assume some
>trouble.
>
>Has anyone experience with this Laptop?

I have no experience with the X1 Extreme, but a couple months ago I did
buy a Thinkpad P73 with Nvidia graphics. After installing Xubuntu on it
I found that it was using just the Intel graphics on the motherboard,
but after installing the Nvidia driver from the repositories and
rebooting it started using both, with optimus. The Intel graphic chip
is easier on the battery, and optimus allows it to use the Intel
graphics unless it needs the additional speed and features of the
Nvidia chip. Optimus is completely seamless - I never know which chip
the computer is using.

Before installing the Nvidia driver I had to go to nvidia.com to find
out which driver I needed for the Quadro T2000 in the computer. I could
have downloaded their proprietary driver, either stable or bleeding
edge, but I decided to just use the one from the repositories. The
drivers in the repositories don't usually list which cards they work
with, so I had to guess based on the number that Nvidia gave to their
Linux driver for the T2000. Fortunately, I guessed right the first
time. You can actually install more than one driver, but it will
significantly slow down boot time while waiting for Linux to figure out
which one it needs. Assuming that the X1 has an Intel CPU I'm guessing
that you could probably install OpenSUSE on the computer without
dealing with the Nvidia driver, and it will just use the Intel graphics
until you get around to installing the Nvidia driver.

In my experience Intel, AMD and Nvidia have always supported Linux,
even with their latest chips. And as long as the computer has an Intel
CPU it probably has Intel graphics as well.