[ltp] X1 (4th Generation) Ubuntu 16.06 trackpoint slow

Richard Neill rn214 at richardneill.org
Wed Jan 22 05:03:40 CET 2020

Hi all,

For what it's worth, there are multiple different configuration
approaches, and you may have different results with:
    xinput
    udev rules
    /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity
    whatever your desktop environment does with its mouse speed.

(the serioX  depends on platform).

For most thinkpads (including all the X1 Carbons of the last 5 years),
the magic incantation is to put this into
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-trackpoint.rules:

KERNEL=="serio2", SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse",
ATTR{sensitivity}:="255", ATTR{speed}:="255"

Trackpoint drift most often occurs when you rest your finger on it when
idle, and it is constantly recalibrating for it's own "DC level". The
trick is to practice not doing that.

HTH,

Richard

P.S. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrackPoint