[ltp] Help needed with choosing the right ThinkPad

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Jul 29 17:41:51 CEST 2020

> One thing I like about the T450s, though is the option to use two SSDs - one
> 2,5 inch and one in the M.2 slot. As far as I understand, there should be
> the same possibility with the X270, but I found much less information
> about it.

According to the specs I found the X270 can accommodate a 2½" drive
(tho it's likely limited to 7mm, compared to 9.5mm in the T450s) and
it can also accommodate an M.2 SSD drive.  It seems unlikely that they'd
share the same space, so I strongly suspect that you can use both at the
same time, but I indeed haven't found any confirmation of this
fact anywhere yet, nor of the size of the M.2 slot.

Also, according to https://thinkwiki.de/T450s, if you want to use an M.2
SSD in the T450s, it has to use the slot otherwise dedicated to the
WWAN, it's apparently SATA-only, and it's limited to 2242 rather than
the more common 2280 format.  On the X270, there's a PCIe M.2 slot for
the SSD (I assume it's 2280, but I couldn't find confirmation of it),
and you can also use the M.@ WWAN slot for an additional 2242 SATA SSD.

        Stefan