[ltp] Help needed with choosing the right ThinkPad

Axel Braun axel.braun at gmx.de
Thu Jul 30 13:19:12 CEST 2020

Am Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2020, 12:00:02 CEST schrieb linux-thinkpad-
request at linux-thinkpad.org:

[...]

> >> 12 GB would probably be totally enough most of the time, but I'd prefer
> >> have the option to have more.
> >
> > I would not stretch the RAM too much. I recently replaced my 8 year old
> > T520 (8GB, 1TB SSD) with a X1Extreme Gen2 (16GB, 1TB Nvram), both running
> > Tumbleweed.
> > I mostly do office and packaging work (local compilations before checking
> > in to OBS) , with 1 or 2 VM for testing. Even on the T520 is mostly some
> > RAM left in boring state. On the X1E I did not use swap space so far
>
> Then again, IIUC the OP is still using a T61, so he probably wants his
> new machine to last another 10 years.  Maybe 12GB is plenty right now,
> but will it still be in 2030?

yeah,  predictions are always difficult, especially when they relate to the
future.

Depends on what you do with it, and what runs on it (as this is a Linux-list I
guess it is not the standard mainstream bloatware).

For me use case I found 16GB more than sufficient, and the 8GB on the old
ThinkPad are still OK as well. Compared to an old dual-core desktop with 8GB
as well teh T520 is even more performant due to the core-i7 with
hyperthreading

> BTW, talking about planning for the future: my past experience is that
> it can be worthwhile upgrading your RAM before you actually need it:
> the price of RAM sticks can increase once it becomes very old
> technology (and hence harder to find).  So keep an eye on the price of
> those 16GB DDR3 sticks

very true. ebay helps in any case

>         Stefan "who still doesn't notice much difference between his 3GB
>                 T60 and his 8GB T61, FWIW"

Axel (who noticed that the performance difference between T520 and E1E is in
      most cases not significant)