[ltp] Too many choices!

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Thu May 14 17:11:34 CEST 2020

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 04:10:32PM +0300, Kamen Naydenov wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 5:32 AM Cynthia <think at dogtrainingthatworks.net> wrote:
> >
> >     My favorite Thinkpad was the X61S, which had no trackpad, just the
> >     trackpoint and a little mouse button cluster.  Before that, I
> >     always had a line in the start-up to disable the trackpad because I
> >     tend to touch it by mistake and do unintended things. My husband
> >     always did that tweak for me; he is gone now and I won't know how to
> >     do it...
> As you prefer TrackPoint usage avoid ThinkPads featuring clickpads
> (Buttonless Touchpad).
> Models to avoid are listed in section "Models featuring this
> Technology" at https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Buttonless_Touchpad#Models_featuring_this_Technology

Hey, my X220 had three perfectly button-y trackpad buttons above the
touchpad.  And so does my X390.  There were no physical buttons at the
bottom of the touchpad, hence "clickpad".

(I don't know if there are any models where the trackpad buttons are
also subsumed into the touchpad as click areas.  Safest to look at the
pictures before buying.)

I loved my X220 and stuck with it for a long time.  Before that I had a
T61, which was okay but rather large and ugly-ish.  I jumped from the T
series to the X series because both grew a bit -- before that I didn't
like X40/X60 having a slightly narrower keyboard, making my fingers miss
the right keys when I had to use a coworker's machine while
pair-programming.

I also like my current X390, but it has some downsides: non-upgradeable
RAM, no easily-replaceable SDD/HDD tray, and they keep messing with
keyboard layouts so now I take screenshots all the time by accident.
Who thought it was a good idea to place the PrintScreen key between
AltGr and the right Ctrl???

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Java has a huge standard library, and Python's standard library is either even
larger or much smaller, depending upon whether you are talking about