[ltp] Trackpoints, touchpad, and human aging

Axel Braun axel.braun at gmx.de
Sat May 23 17:47:12 CEST 2020

Am Freitag, 22. Mai 2020, 12:00:02 CEST schrieb linux-thinkpad-request at linux-
thinkpad.org:
> Just in case Lenovo messes this up: There are other vendors with
> trackpoints.  See the HP "EliteBook" series for example.  They only have
> two mouse buttons, and the trackpoint isn't red, but they have done a
> decent job copying IBM without making it too obvious.

Hm, Dell offers some models with Trackpoint as well. But I dont like the Dell
from the rest of the appeareance.

I was first looking into a Tuxedo. But they have no trackpoint, and I'm
somewhat lost without.

So the trackpoint and the optin to get it wihout Windows preinstalled was the
reason to buy a ThinkPad again (my first TP dates back to the 1990's, a 770)
as a replacement for the 2012 T520 (which is still running well): A X1 Extreme
Gen.2 running openSUSE Tumbleweed.

I had 4 times a service technician here: First the keyboard was replaced, as
it missed keystrokes (a 70+ pages thread in the US Lenovo forum). Then the
screen remained black after suspend (backlight broken). First the screen was
replaced, then the cable, and finally the mainboard (they were in backorder
even in China). Since then (some three weeks) the TP works well. Have not
enabled the fingerprint reader yet and the Card Reader throws up a kernel
error. Can live with that....

Cheers
Axel