[ltp] install on a X200, ubuntu windows7 but password protected

Joerg Bruehe joerg.bruehe at web.de
Sun Oct 18 14:03:01 CEST 2020

Hi Uwe, all!

On 17.10.20 17:29, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Hi
>
> This might be a bit off topic. I was asked to install Ubuntu on a X200
> (which runs windows 7!). However not only should it be a dual boot (that
> I know to do of course), but the booting of windows should be password
> protected.
>
> So this seems to be a grub question, I presume, anybody has done this?

I have never dealt with boot passwords, and I fail to see the real gain:
If an attacker gets hold of the machine, s/he can easily boot a live
system and then mount any partition of any internal disk.

IMNSHO, the only real protection is disk encryption - for Linux with
LUKS, for Windows with Veracrypt. Veracrypt is also available for Linux,
so Linux can mount the encrypted Windows partition(s).

As your name sounds German, I recommend some articles of c't:

Issue 14/2016, p. 136-139 + 140-145:
TrueCrypt ist tot, es lebe VeraCrypt - Ein Blick hinter die Kulissen des
Verschlüsselungs-Tools VeraCrypt
Der Universal-Verschlüssler - Mit VeraCrypt Festplatten, Ordner oder
Sticks verschlüsseln

Issue 19(2016, p. 38:
Note about possible conflicts between Veracrypt and UEFI

Issue 17/2020, p. 162-164:
Dicht und frei - Windows-Partition mit VeraCrypt verschlüsseln

I have successfully used the 2016 articles to encrypt a Windows system
on a Thinkpad (forgot the model), dual-boot with Linux using LUKS.

The anti-virus project Desinfec't can also handle Windows systems which
are encrypted using Veracrypt.

Regards and HTH,
Jörg Brühe

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe at web.de