[ltp] "80-wire cables" issue when using SATA drives in PATA Thinkpads

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Feb 2 00:47:46 CET 2021

> But that patch basically just did what libata.force does: you'd get
> UDMA5 all the time, just like you get with libata.force=80c.
>> I tried to boot with `libata.force=80c` and it does result in `hdparm`
>> showing me that `udma5` is used instead of `udma2`, but that seems to be
>> a lie because the actual bandwidth I see is still ~30MB/s.
> This is likely the fault of the PATA-SATA bridge.

Hmm... so you're saying that on the Thinkpad's side the udma5 info from
`hdparm` is really trustworthy and if the transfer rate is still slow
it's because of a limitation in the PATA<->M.2 adapter?

I don't have many ways to access a PATA drive these days other than the
Thinkpad.   I just tried with a USB<->PATA adapter but it gives me an
error "can't set config #1, error -110" when I connect it.  I think
I have some other drive enclosures in the office I could try, but
I don't get to go to my office very frequently these days, so it'll have
to wait.

In any case, thank you,

        Stefan