[ltp] Almost dead battery

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Apr 19 21:47:41 CEST 2022

>>> One of the cells is dead (or even more than one).
>> Is this reflected somewhere in the /sys data?
>
> :-) No, this is a pure HW issue (btw, I am physicist).
> It is not reflected anywhere, not even in the battery's internal logic.
> So how could the OS know?
> The behavior you describe is a typical symptom of a dead cell.
> You could search for it.

Hmm... the Thinkpad's firmware (i.e. software rather than HW) seems to
know about the problem (otherwise it wouldn't know to make the led blink
orange).  So you're saying that it just doesn't bother to reflect the
problem in the /sys data?

BTW, do you happen to know how does the firmware know about the problem,
given that it blinked the led even when I had just insert the battery
and its charging state was above the 80% `start_charge_thresh` (so the
firmware shouldn't have tried to charge the battery)?

>> That's my current plan, but since I don't actually need this as a "real"
>> battery, I'd prefer to just keep using that old one.  Less waste and
>> all that.
> I support this approach to full extent. :-)

Thanks for the support.  Not sure it'll be sufficient to motivate my
battery to come back to life, but every bit counts,

        Stefan