[ltp] Almost dead battery

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Apr 19 22:37:45 CEST 2022

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 09:11:36AM +0200, Christoph Schmees wrote:
> You /could/ disassemble the battery, find the defective cell(s),
> replace it, reassemble the bat again. - No, nonsense, no one would
> do that. It is near to impossible unless you can get hold of a very
> well equipped repair shop. ;-)

I have MANY old Thinkpad batteries in similar condition.
There are millions like us.

I can imagine that "well equipped repair shop" with a
supply of replacement battery cells, a spot welder, and
a 3D plastic printer.  And LOTS of diagnostic tools.

The shop cuts open the plastic battery case, solders/welds
replacement cells to the original circuit board, then
seamlessly repairs the cut.  The battery looks "original"
to X-Ray and visual inspection, so that airport security
doesn't complain when you fly with your Thinkpad.

There are many aftermarket batteries on eBay and elsewhere
that don't last very long.  It would be wonderful to have
a trustworthy supplier which could recycle and restore my
Thinkpad batteries to IBM/Lenovo factory quality.

Perhaps one of you already knows of such a source.

It would be even better to build a "smarter" battery with
extra diagnostic features; hourly cell voltage monitoring
with data saved to an NVRAM.  When the battery is recycled,
that data would help the recycling company "tune" your
replacement battery to match your individual usage, and
tell you how to "tune" your behavior to take better care
of your battery.

But I can imagine many things that will never happen.
Eight billion people on this planet, not nearly enough
audaciously creative geeks - present company gratefully
excepted.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com