[ltp] Almost dead battery

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Thu Apr 21 01:01:16 CEST 2022

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 03:27:13PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 04:55:18AM +0000, Bret Waldow wrote:
>> An Internet search for "laptop battery refill" turns up a small
>> number of candidates. [...] IIUC the problem is a mix of various
>> problems: [...]
>
> [...] The problem is scale; a local shop and a reprocessing wait are
> indeed not practical.  A regional or global operation would send a
> full-price replacement, and offer a hefty rebate if the worn-out
> battery was sent back for refurbishment, to sell to a subsequent
> customer.  [...]
>
> I could help seed the process with twenty failed T60 and T30
> batteries.  Thousands of us worldwide can do likewise.  99.9999% of us
> aren't capable of organizing this - that leaves only 7,000 clever
> people worldwide who might be.

One of those 7,000 people might be Yao of XY Tech.  He does Thinkpad
rebuilds.  (A friend bought one recently & is happy with it.  I was
impressed by the workmanship - including trimming the bezel to fit a
larger-than-factory display.)

My guess is his schedule's already full meeting demand for his existing
products/services.  But perhaps he knows someone who would like the idea
of setting up a Thinkpad battery refill business?

You could drop him a line and ask: https://www.xyte.ch

Failing that: for anyone in this position, why not just buy a
replacement battery (from Lenovo, if available, else from Greencell or
whoever) when your current one finally stops holding enough charge to be
useful; and recycle your current one when the new one arrives?

Several parts of the world are covered by WEEE regulations or
equivalent, and therefore have battery recycling points in most
neighbourhoods.

Sam