[ltp] Almost dead battery

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Apr 22 18:52:11 CEST 2022

Hi Henrique,

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh [2022-04-22 11:50:00] wrote:
> Depending on thinkpad version, it knows the voltage of every cell in the
> battery pack *and* it has an active (command-response) i2c channel to
> the battery pack controller.

In my case it's a T61.

> If either the active i2c channel goes silent, or battery cell telemetry
> received is shows a cell is bad, it will blink red.  It also does
> temperature and charge telemetry, and has alarms tied to it.

Makes me wish all that info were exposed to GNU/Linux :-)

> If one of the cells really went bad, chances are the battery pack
> controller will have bricked the battery pack (opened some protection
> gates that will remain open, isulating the cells and permanently
> powering off the battery pack).

At least this doesn't seem to be the case for my battery, since its
remaining charge is still able to keep the machine running (tho
obviously only until I use up the currently remaining 50%, after which
it'll be "truly dead" unless I find a way to recharge it).

> Just replace that battery pack, really.  Or get a beefy enough power
> supply that you can go without one, if that's an option.

While I could rely on hibernation to go from plug to plug, I do enjoy
the convenience of suspending to ram, so I'll be getting
another battery.

        Stefan