[ltp] T520 Linux Mint / button ThinkVantage

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Aug 19 11:21:33 CEST 2022

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 05:26:25PM +0700, Иван Ниагара wrote:
> Many years I have used the T520 with linux.
> I have an idea to hang some job on the blue button "ThinkVantage" on the top of
> the notebook keyboard.
>
> I suppose, this button has a different interrupt code, not as another button on
> the keyboard.

I'm not sure how it's all wired at the hardware level, but the Linux
userspace sees a regular key event.

I've always mapped it to lock screen.

> The jobs may be:
> - turn power off
> - erase some files or memory
> - etc.
>
> Is it possible?

Sure.  How, specifically, depends on your desktop environment.  I use
GNOME so I'd do it from gnome-control-center -> Keyboard shortcuts.
If you want a custom action ("erase some files", I'm not sure how you'd
erase "memory"), you can create a custom shortcut that runs a shell
script that can do whatever you want.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Why do geeks think Halloween and Christmas occur on the same day?
Because 31oct = 25dec!