[ltp] External hard drive failing? (Jeffrey Taylor)

Axel Braun axel.braun at gmx.de
Sun Jun 12 12:05:35 CEST 2022

Hello Jeffrey,

Am Sonntag, 12. Juni 2022, 12:00:01 CEST schrieb linux-thinkpad-request at linux-
thinkpad.org:

> I have a Verbatim external USB 3.0 hard drive.  For the second time in a
> month, my laptop running Leap 15.3, fails to recognize when it's plugged
> in.  The light on the drive lights up when it's plugged in, sothe drive
> recognizes the laptop.  The laptop is a Lenovo T520.  The ports are USB
> 2.0.  Rebooting the laptop does not help.  Shutting the laptop for an
> hour does help. Any of this sound familiar?  Is USB port failing?
> Probably not, same thing happens regardless of which port the hard drive
> is plugged into.  Hard drive failing or something in the kernel messing up?

Are you using KDE? A while ago there was a bug that a USB device plugged in for the
second time is not recognized anymore.
I'm not sure this was Leap or TW, but is fixed already (I'm using TW on T520 and
X1Extreme)

In any case you should take a look at the journal (journalctl -f) while plugging the USB
drive in

HTH
Axel