[ltp] T480s, battery state jumping from fully-charged to charging while plugged in, battery LED doesn't change

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed Jun 15 03:58:09 CEST 2022

If I'm being too noisy in the void please let me know.

So I followed Kevin Locke's instructions on attempting battery calibration
on 5.18:

if charge thresholds are being used, clear them during recalibration:
>     echo 0 >/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_start_threshold
>     echo 100 >/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_end_threshold
> echo force-discharge >/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_behaviour
> # Wait until battery is fully discharged
> # Wait until battery is fully recharged
> # Restore change thresholds as desired

While monitoring upower -i, my machine sat at 0 Wh for about 10 minutes
before it switched to a pending-charge state (USB PD was still plugged in).
I think it sat in that state for a while longer before it switched to auto
and began recharge. I've allowed it to recharge, and once it got up to
"full" it started to flip again between fully-charged/charging every 2-5
seconds (and tossing up notification) while still displaying a white LED
next to the charging port for fully charged. Here are two samples from
upower:

    state:               fully-charged
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              51.31 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         53.09 Wh
    energy-full-design:  57 Wh
    energy-rate:         3.085 W
    voltage:             12.988 V
    charge-cycles:       14
    percentage:          96%
    capacity:            93.1404%

    state:               charging
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              51.32 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         53.09 Wh
    energy-full-design:  57 Wh
    energy-rate:         3.769 W
    voltage:             12.909 V
    charge-cycles:       14
    time to full:        28.2 minutes
    percentage:          96%
    capacity:            93.1404%

I dumped "96" into
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_end_threshold and it's stopped
flipping. But I thought this would tune 0%-96% to scale what my battery
meter would display with 0%-100%, and not just stop charging at 96%
displayed on the meter.

So I guess my question is, am I doing this correctly, or is the root of my
issue elsewhere? If I hadn't already e-wasted the old battery I would pop
that in for a test.

Thanks.

--
Rubin (he/him <https://pronoun.is/he/him>)