[ltp] Experience with ThinkPad ethernet extension adapter?

Uwe Brauer oub.oub.oub at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 22:07:01 CET 2024

>>> "SM" == Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>>> I recently got an X1 Carbon (gen5) and I see it doesn't have a real
>>> ethernet port, instead it has a funny port for ethernet that requires an
>>> external adapter.
>>
>>> On Lenovo's site I see a "ThinkPad Ethernet Extension Adapter Gen 2"
>>> which seems to serve that purpose, so I get the impression that it's not
>>> quite for the same connector, so maybe my laptop requires a "gen1" of
>>> that adapter.
>> I think I have a similar Laptop
>> Is this the adapter you are referring to?

> I suppose so.

>> That on is ok, for my purposes.

> Good to know, thanks.  I think I'll go with a usb<->ethernet thingy
> instead, tho, since it's more versatile.

> From some of the things I read, it seems that the adapter was sometimes
> included in the box (which would make a lot of sense, seeing how it's
> quite device-specific), but it definitely didn't come in the box for my
> machine (even tho I "got" that machine recently, I was the one that
> bought it several years ago (before lending it to a student), and
> I would remember if it had included such an adapter).

Yes it was included in the box, I am sure about that and I was/am always
afraid to loose it, since it looks so, well, unique.

I did not know about the USB Eithernet thing, but I usually prefer to
leave my USB ports free for other purposes.

Uwe

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.