Suspending safely (was Re: Thinkpad features program)

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:13:10 +0200

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> | On Greg Moulton's page there is a work around for closing the lid. Press
> | CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to virtual console 1 then close the lid,
> | after opening the lid again press CTRL-ALT-F7 to return to the XConsole.
>
> Another workaround: use Fn-F4 to suspend (you have to unplug the AC
> adapter FIRST for this to work), or use a software program (I use kapm)
> to suspend.  I use both of these methods regularly and can't remember
> having any problems.  I have experienced the resume problem occasionally
> when I've suspended simply by closing the lid.
>
> I don't know why I have to unplug to get Fn-F4 to work, but after it's
> suspended I can plug the AC back in.

Closing the lid does not suspend.

If you CTRL-ALT-F1(-F6) and the close the lid the system still keeps on
running.

It must be something to do with the lid display switch and the XServer getting
out
of sync.

Bill.