IBM 755CD

Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:38:57 -0400

755/760's do not support bootable CD's. Use the external FDD and the internal
CDROM to install Linux, this worked fine for me with a TP760XD.

Rob Mayoff <mayoff@dqd.com> on 08/01/99 10:53:57 PM

Please respond to linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com

To:   linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
cc:
Subject:  Re: IBM 755CD

| I'm new to Linux and am trying to load Linux Mandrake 6.0 onto the system.
| The only problem I've run into (so far:)) is that the floppy and the CD-Rom
| share the same bay. When I boot up using the floppy, it doesn't recognize
| the CD-Rom. Any suggetions? TIA

Does your Thinkpad model support booting from CD?  The Mandrake CD is
bootable.

Is there no cable for attaching the floppy drive externally?

You could mount the CD on another machine and make it available by FTP
or NFS, then boot off the floppy and perform a network install.