IBM 760E

Stein Vrale linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 00:18:04 +0200

Thomas Pedersen wrote:

> Masquerading seems faster in 6.0, but there are many sites I cannot
> connect to now, not sure why.  ipchains don't do it for me either, ipfwadm

hmm, I have no problem with ipchained masqurade on redhat 6.0, but then
on stationary boxes, not pads. It was some hazzle getting the new
ipchain syntax, but when it was done, I didn't notice any difference
from 2.0.36. Do you load the various ip_masq_ modules? You know there is
a ipfwadm-wrapper included with ipchains, which may be used with old
rulesets.

> was much better IMO. (actually my 770 IS my firewall..so it's not
> completely off topic ;)

hehe, is it the main office firewall also? "Hey guys, you better logoff
now, I'm going home for dinner" :-)

Maybe there are some trouble when the masqued packets go through the
pcmia stuff, or maybe the card driver. But to bring this even more
off-topic, here's a (related?) project I will try later this year: The
mobile linux classroom.

The idea is to use a package called Xterminals, which turn your box into
a super X "server", suitable for xterminals to boot from. In the package
is some scripts which will install files from an ordinary RedHat CD and
create a root partion for use by the terminals. Then you create a boot
floppy. With this floppy, you may then boot most i386 computers, they
mount the xterminal root over nfs, and fires up the "local" Xterminal.
The cool thing is that you don't change any thing on the local disk or
OS, everything is run from the server, and all the clients use the same
root partion.

So, imagine this:

1. You enter a classrom with 30 Win boxes and plug in your "tiny" tp on
the hub.
2. You boot all the win boxes with the floppy, and they fires X.
3. On the server, you have preinstalled the course your are teaching,
and also preset desktops for all the users, with launchers and bookmarks
for the course.
4. When all is over, you unplug your tp, reset the user data, and reboot
the classroom back to windows.

The advantage with this is that you don't have to depend on local
software, everything is prepared and well-tuned on the tp, where all the
applications will be runned. Also, when running as Xterminal, you don't
load the local hardware much, I tried this with a 486/25/16 and it was
much faster than running X locally on the same computer (much faster
than win also btw).

More info on the Xterminal package here:
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/xterminals/

And sorry for bringing this so far off-topic, just couldn't resist to
share this idea :-)

best regards,

Stein Vråle