[ltp] Re: Full screen console om 770Z!!!

Paul Barrett linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:35:38 -0400 (EDT)

I just tried the VESA FB console on my TP 770 and got it to work on a
1024X768 screen.  The funny thing is that when I tried logging out of
root and logging back in as a user, the X server didn't come up again:
it just left me in console mode.  So I did a reboot and restarted the
server that way.  Yet, on the reboot, the screen was washed out.  So I
edited my XF86Config file and commented out 'Option "cyber_shadow"'
and restarted the X server again.  Now the screen looks fine.

Does anyone have any answers to this unusual state of affairs?  That
is 1) why doesn't the X server restart, and 2) why don't I need the
"cyber_shadow" option anymore?

I'm using an updated Red Hat 6.0 distribution and X uses the SVGA
driver.  Can I do without the SVGA driver?  If so, would that be wise?

 -- Paul