[ltp] Interview with IBM (german)

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:06:33 +0200

Thomas Wimmer wrote:

> (...)
>
> Prial: Right now weīre supporting Linux on some NetFinity-Server and
> we will see (nearly) full support on the NetFinity-Server,
> IntelliStations, commercial PCīs and ThinkPads - in that order.
>
> cīt: Does that include the internal modems in the ThinkPads ?
>
> Prial: We will support ThinkPads with Linux. I canīt announce
> anything more at this time.

Hmmm. I hope that the petition will help on this issue, I'm wondering
if Keith F. has gotten any further ?

Keith ?

> I did install Linux on my ThinkPad and
> did have a good deal of problems with the video-driver. Yes there
> needs something to be done. Perhaps we will write some drivers and
> place them under GPL. (...) Well, yes we will do something, we are
> going to write drivers.

Didn't someone tell him 'bout my patched XServer. ;-)

> (...)
>
> It seems that they are planning on doing things, but with the modem
> - donīt hold your breath, as it is way down their priority list.

Oh man, I guess I'll just have to stick with my PCMCIA modem,
ultra bummer.

> Thomas
> And sorry for that crude translation, i do hope I didnīt mix up the
> meanings of the stuff.

Looks good to me, and don't be sorry, your english is a whole lot better
than my german.

> try for yourself ;-):

I did, I tried translating an english page into german, the results were
hilarious. :-))) Thanks for the note about the babelfish, if I need a laugh
then I just need to let it translate english into german.

Bill.