[ltp] problem with 9-pins serial connector ?

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 21:56:00 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Les Bell wrote:
> I'm pretty sure - but this is a memory from the very dim and distant past -
> that the RS-232C spec actually requires that the drivers be able to
> comfortably survive a short in any case.

That may be the case, and it is indeed not a matter of low voltage (your
PCI SCSI card is low voltage, but don't unplug that with power on!), but
the chips that drive the ports generally handle hot-plugging just fine.

Of course, most of the data sheets from the manufacturer do not recommend
this practice, as something could possibly go wrong, and the standard
serial connector is not designed specifically for this behavior.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"Wait a minute, Joe. If what you're saying is true,
then I still don't care." - Dave Nelson, News Radio