[ltp] problem with 9-pins serial connector ?

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:44:37 +0100

Hello,

My laptop came back from the IBM tech center this afternoon.
The mainboard has finally been changed again due to this error
at start time (error 188 and 189). I called the technician,
and he couldn't give me much information about the probable
cause of this hardware problem (I assume this is an hardware
problem, but I'm not even sure of this).
For him, error 188 means "mainboard problem", so the
mainboard needed to be changed, period. Not very explanatory.

I thank all of you for your answers. I can summarize by saying
that the serial port is probably not the culprit. But this is
quite frustrating too, because an unidentified failure like this
means that it can happen again...

Fabrice