[ltp] backup a partition

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:41:00 GMT

   My thinkpad dual boots NT and Linux.  I've had to install NT twice in
   the last two days due to corruption.  NT is on a fairly small partition
   ~600MB.  Can I make a full backup of this partition from Linux?
   (Equally important, can it be retored from the backup?)  I'm thinking
   that using the linux command dd would work.  Then I could zip up the
   file and put it somewhere.

I'm speaking out of turn, since I haven't done this, but...  This
will work.  The only things it won't back-up are the things
outside the NT parition, such as the boot sector, stuff stored in
the motherboard's CMOS, etc.

You might like to gzip the backup mildly (say  dd ... | gzip -1):
this could use substantially less disc space and, depending on
your machine's speed, might even run faster than the basic dd
because of the reduced disc traffic.

Michael.