Thinkpad 770Z Cover and X

Andreas Bagge linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:41:17 +0200

Bill Mair wrote:

> Suresh, Bruce,
>
> > I'd love a fix for this too. What I do is exit the XServer before closing
> > the cover, i.e. before suspending the machine, and then restart X after I've
> > woken up the machine.
>
> If a thinkpad is configured not to suspend when the lid is closed, then for
> some
> reason the XServer is not informed that the display has been turned of, and I
> presume that the sync go all to hell when the lid is reopened.
>
> I donīt have any idea how to get around this in a sensible, software controlled
>
> way, but maybe a friendly IBMer reading this might be able to find out what
> messages or states are changed when the lid is closed and let me know. If
> itīs an APM thing or an X thing I would be extremely interested in finding a
> solution too.
>
> When I need to keep my system running with a closed lid I first drop out of
> the XSession using "CTRL-ALT-F1" to get to the normal display, and then
> use "CTRL-ALT-F7" to get back to the XSession upon reopening.
>
> A small tip though if you do forget to do this and get a "not so" funny looking
>
> brown-white burn-in screen: use Fn-F7 to swith the display to the external
> adapter (Blank screen), then "CTRL-ATL-F1" to the panel where you started X,
> Fn-F7 back to the LCD display, and CTRL-C to kill the XServer. It works for
> mine
> but it should also work for anyone using any ThinkPad.
>
> Bill.

Hello Bill and Thinkpad users,

I have no problem with closing the lid while X running.
Two days ago I got and installed Billīs X server.
(Thanks for that great job!)

I have a TP770X with 13.7" display, and I am using SuSE 6.1 with KDE,
kernel 2.2.5 (with SuSE modifications), APM activated in kernel.
The KDE "klaptop" utility allows me to do the settings for
auto suspend, works nice.

I donīt know what is different in my configuration against yours.
But if you have special questions ask me, I will try to do my
best to find it out.

Andreas Bagge

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Bagge,  Marketing Manager         #
Geo++ GmbH, Steinriede 8, D-30827 Garbsen, Germany   ###