Intro and request.

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 17:29:53 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

My name is Chris and I have an old ThinkPad 750P. I've been on the generic
ThinkPad mailing list since it was the 750 mailing list many years ago,
and I have recently successfully installed Red Hat 6.0 on the beast.

Gnome and Enlightenment are running uhm... surprisingly well on it, but
alas, I have no sound. The 750 is supposed to have a CS4231 sound chip,
and that is supposed to be supported by the kernel ad1848 module, but I
have had no luck getting it to work.

I tried sndconfig, but that allows only five IO addresses, none of which
match IBM's choices, so I've tried running modprobe myself.

IBM's ps2win allows IO of 0x0030, 0x4e30, 0x8e30 or 0xce30. 0x0030 seems
to cause a conflict with linux. IBM allows only use of both DMA channels 0
and 1, and IRQ's of 5, 10, 11 or 15.

ad1848 (or maybe modprobe) does not allow DMA 0 for "8-bit cards",
likewise IRQ's 10 or 11. IRQ 15 is right out (Bad IRQ it says).

I used ps2win to set the audio to 0x4e30, dma 0,1, irq 10. When I try
modprobe now, it waits several seconds (over ten) and says:
init_module: Device or resource busy

Do I have another conflict?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
  - Jimmy James, News Radio