Got it going.... seeing mem?

Frank 'Crash' Edwards linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 08:55:20 -0400 (EDT)

--------------A5E5C3C89C5ED6FC59C39894

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, fburke wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Once you added the change to the lilo file did you compile it with the lilo
> command?

Simpler than that.  He doesn't have 196mb, he has 192mb.  The 196 that he
thinks he has is what the TP displays during the power-up sequence, but
it's measure in 1000 bytes, not 1024 bytes. :-)

Change the lilo line to "191M" and try it again.  (I know, 'cuz my TP 770X
has 192mb of RAM also.)

As a side issue, it seems that "191M" works but "191m" doesn't.  Is the
kernel really case-sensitive on this point?  Seems a little nit-picky to
me...

> -Fred-
>
> "Michael B. Sayer" wrote:
>
> > After a lot of reading and compiling the extra bit for XF86 and fiddling
> > with my XFConfig,  I now have it all up and running - well the x windows
> > (kde) at least!  I have to say a big thank you to all, for the pointers and
> > the web resources for the TP.  I'm not sure how long it would have taken me
> > otherwise!  It was worth it in the end.  Linux is lovely!
> >
> > However I don't seem to be able to get Linux to see all of my RAM (196 meg).
> > I've included my lilo file (small that it is).  I've included the append=
> > line and I ran /sbin/lilo and rebooted.  No joy.  I'd be grateful for any
> > comments:

> > Thanks,
> > Michael

Ciao.
--
Frank J. Edwards         Edwards & Edwards Consulting
Voice:   (888)EEC.COM.0  http://www.eec.com/

    How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    None: "We'll document it in the manual."

    How many tech writers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    None: "The user can work it out."

--------------A5E5C3C89C5ED6FC59C39894--