had to run fsck

Michael B. Sayer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:45:04 +0530

On two occasions I've had the system stop on shutdown.  It reaches the point
of "shutting down pcmca - OK" and just stops.  I even left it for a while to
see what would happen.... But nothing does.  It just sticks at that point.
My little disk icon on the TP is also up and lit.

The only way I could shut down the machine was to disconnect the mains and
pull out the battery.  Very Scary!  On reboot it did a force check on the
file system.   Once it had to fix 2 inodes and then passed OK, on the other
occasion I had to run fsck.  That worked OK  but I'm nervous of having to do
something like that.  Are my fears justified?

Any thoughts as to why it might just freeze like that during shutdown?

I'm running Red Hat 6.0 on a TP770X PII300.

Michael

Michael Brennan
Head of Operations NTV(India)

Tel		+91 22 852 3880 x2112