CardBus 32-bit - any drivers?

Frank 'Crash' Edwards linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:31:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Joseph Yoon wrote:
> CardBus indicates 32-bit hardware versus 16-bit for the original
> PCMCIA interface. According to the Linux PCMCIA Information Page
> (http://hyper.stanford.edu/~dhinds/pcmcia/) "all CardBus drivers
> should be treated as experimental." And I don't see a driver listed
> for my card.

No comment, since I don't know anything about this.

> I don't have the ThinkPad DSP modem, DVD, IRDA or MIDI working
> either under Linux. Guess I'm stuck in Windoze for those.

I don't expect the DSP modem any time soon, since it's a DSP and requires
special programming.  However, I'm going to be at the IBM labs in Austin
in a couple weeks and I plan on asking about this. :-)

My DVD _does_ work under Linux, however, the hot swap features don't.
I would like to determine how that works, and see if it can't become a
call to kerneld so that it knows to load/unload certain modules.  If the
TP stuff were put into a module by itself, it would be loaded
(dynamically) at start up, then it could cause the calls to kerneld as
needed.

The IRDA doesn't work unless the COM port is disabled (they share an IRQ),
but I don't know how to do this under Linux, only using the TP
configurator under Windoze.  Same for the MIDI.

> On another note, has anyone installed VMware (http://www.vmware.com)
> on a 770?

Not on a TP, although I have it on my desktop.  Sucks rocks running 98,
supposedly because of all the polling that 98 does.  NT is supposed to run
much better.  An associate says he's run Linux under VMware running on
Linux (!?) in order to fake multiple installations of RH6, but that sounds
_really_ bizarre to me. :-)  He says it runs okay, though.

Ciao.
--
Frank J. Edwards         Edwards & Edwards Consulting
Voice:   (888)EEC.COM.0  http://www.eec.com/