Thinkpad 770Z Cover and X

Heikki Vatiainen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 00:10:00 +0300

Suresh L Konda <slk@sei.cmu.edu> wrote:
>     I have a TP  770Z  with Redhat 6.0 and Bill Mair's terrific X server. The
> problem I have is that when I am running X and close the TP's cover, X goes
> away (or something).  I seem to recall some mail regarding this but have not
> found (re-found) it. Any help would be much appreciated.

A workaround I use is to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to escape to text mode
virtual console before closing the cover. When I reopen the cover,
I just press Alt-F7 to go back to X.

The thinkpad I'm using is usually always on, and I also usually go
to virtual console if I am not going to use it for a while. The
text mode screen blanker seems to better turn of the backlight
than the X screen blanker.

> Suresh

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland