test and a note on XF86Config

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 May 1999 12:43:12 -0500 (CDT)

| ps - what is the reason for hand-specifying one meg less
| than the maximum for a thinkpad?  or is this just superstition?

Apparently the BIOS uses the top meg for itself.  It's not superstition.
I tried booting with mem=128M and it hung (and started beeping at me)
while mounting the drives.  I would guess this is because Linux uses all
free memory for disk cache and mounting the filesystems results in
reading a lot of blocks, so eventually Linux trashed the BIOS region.
The problem went away when I set mem=127M.