[ltp] problem with Thinkpad 770X crashing

Moses DeJong linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:29:12 -0600 (CST)

Hi all.

I have a Thinkpad 770X (the 1200x1000 model), and I have been
running into a strange problem. It seems to be related to X.
I am using RedHat 5.2 upgraded to 2.2.9 and the X server from
http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_xfree.html for my Cyber9397.

I seem to be able to reproduce this problem by running
mozilla (from the CVS) and then attaching to the parent
process using gdb. gdb attaches and starts loading the
shared libs, but after a bunch of libs are loaded the
whole system freezes up. X is still running but the system
is completely stuck. Now here is where it gets strange.
After about 30 seconds, the disk spins back up and X
starts to redraw the screen. Then it gets stuck again
and the disk spins down. This process continues about
3 or 4 times. It seems like even the kernel is stuck,
I can not log into the system over the network and
if I press ALT-SysRQ-e or something, it is not processed
until the next time the disk spins up again. If the
Alt-SysRQ-e works, then the XDM session will reset
and I will see the XDM login box again. At that point
I can log in but I can not switch back into "console"
mode (can't switch out of X using Ctrl-Alt-F1).

I poked around in /var/log/messages after this happened
one time and nothing strange showed up in there.

Has anyone run into this kind of problem before with
a Thinkpad laptop? Is there some kind of kernel option
or kernel logger I could try to compile with that might
help track down this problem? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Mo DeJong