[ltp] Alternative Operating System ?

EfficientAndSimple Man linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:23:25 -0800 (PST)

Thursday, November 11, 1999, 9:58:33 PM, A Kumar
wrote:
AK> I can't say anything about your choice of OS, but
IBM's commitment to Linux
AK> is far greater then most companies.  And if you
think that there is no
AK> support for linux then what makes you think that
thier will be greater
AK> support for less popular OS's.

Oh yes, I hope that the IBM's commitment to Linux is
really far greater,
because from what appears on newspapers
advertisements, the IBM sells
lots of e-business based on Win NT. That may trick
ignorant people.
Linux appears so little and anyway, Linux appears
mainly for servers, not for personal computing.
Linux is too "passive".

AK> And just because you don't use windows your not
31334 okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Windows on my ThinkPad as a coercive
convenience.
Of course I would not consider anymore any IBM
portable if IBM
continues the M$ "marriage". However it's sad to think
the IBM is a fish and
not the Ocean like M$. I guess the marriage is merely
for convenience.

AK> Stop and ask yourself "What do I want to do with
my thinkpad?"  That should
AK> tell you which OS you should be using.

Of course, but I cannot use 10 OSs for 10 different
purposes!

I am using my ThinkPad 770 for development purposes,
but you know well
it so easy for Win95 and 98 to crash. I'm actually
living with Win98
because the preload Win95 gave me lots of "multimedia"
problems.
I also use DVD and heavy speech processing, but WinNT
doesn't
recognize DVD while offers more stability in speech
processing.
I use USB for other works like scannering. In other
words I do *many*
things with my ThinkPad and it's not nice to reboot
everytime between
Win98 for multimedia, Win NT for serious applications,
may be Linux
for Java/C++ development. What about EMail ? Do I use
Email under Win 98
or Win NT or Linux? That's stressing, dear folks!

AK>   I use windows on my thinkpad,
AK> because I like Word and VC++.  When I want to hack
some perl I use an X
AK> server to log in to my linux box.  For a while I
played linux on my
AK> thinkpad, but found no compeling reson to have a
laptop running linux.  o

And so I should buy a desktop? I spent a lot the
ThinkPad for its
power and portability, I do go in different places!

So, folks, may be we should admit that Linux is not
suitable for a laptop?
Did Linus Torvalds take in account laptops?
Linux programmers: try to be open-minded, not just
open-source!
Microsoft won because its code was mediocre but was
simple and practical! Linux
is toooo rigid for a flexible usage!

=====