[ltp] COL XFree86Config questions

Alex Bell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:07:33 +0000

COL generates its own XFree86Config file when it is installed.  Part of
it reads

Section  "Device"
	Identifier       	"Primary Card"
	Vendor Name	"Unknown"
	Board Name	"None"
	#Autoprobe Clocks
EndSection

The installation process did correctly identify my NeoMagic MagicGraph
128XD.  According to the Neomagic pages on the XFree86.org this card is
supported, including support for internal and external display.  They
say I should have a

Section  "Device"
	Indentifier	"Neomagic"
EndSection.

If I edit the XFreeConfig file to replace "Primary Card" with
"NeoMagic" the computer hands just after calling KDE, with a message
that it is going to another mode.  I can shut down cleanly with
Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Why is this?

If I put the Section suggested by XFree86 below the original COL
generated section it loads without problem.  But is it doing anything?
Is there a better way of inserting the Section suggested by the XFree86
site?

Finally, how do I find out what level of XFree I have on my computer?