[ltp] External Monitor Update

Alex Bell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 16:46:28 +0000

Please bear with me as I struggle to get a display on both the LCD and
external monitor on my ThinkPad 385XD.

I have found that I need to insert

Option "extern_disp"
Option "intern_disp"

to the XF86Config file generated by Caldera OpenLinux at installation.
But even if I do this the display on the external monitor clicks off as
soon as KDE is called at boot.  If I comment out the Option
"intern_disp" then the display comes up on the external monitor, but
not on the LCD.

Earlier today I entered Linux 3 at boot, and eventually got to a blank
screen (on both the LCD and monitor) with the advice that I could call
XWindows by entering startx.  I did that, and got an X11 display on
both the LCD and the external monitor.

This indicates to me that the problem (of not being able to get
simultaneous displays on the LCD and external monitor) has nothing to
do with the enhanced port replicator or the external monitor, and that
the  XF86Config file is  properly set up.  Does this make sense?

The only other thing I can think of is that the problem is caused by
KDE.  Again, does this make sense?  Is there anything else I can test
to determine the cause of the problem?