[ltp] cloning 14G drives

Mark Kennedy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:55:03 -0500

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> | sorry - belay that.  i did the same thing with a blocksize of 1k
> | against a 2nd 14G disk (/dev/hdc), not against /dev/null.  hmm....
>
> The blocksize shouldn't matter.  Did you put with "hdc=1826,240,63" on
> the linux boot command line?  You need to specify BOTH drives'
> geometries if they are both 14 GB.

i'm old and tired (4 kids and a 4 hour daily commute to work) and lack the
eagle eye of a true kernel hacker but, yes, i entered a CHS geometry for both
/dev/hda and /dev/hdc when i tried the two disk experiment.

but the problem isn't due to the 2nd disk at all.

last night on the train ride home i tried chris schuman's
"dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null bs=1M" experiment and again it only
copied half the disk.  i specify the correct CHS geometry in lilo.conf
and and can confirm from /var/log/message that is consumed correctly).

so there has to be a BIOS version problem or a kernel version problem.
i'm using a v2.2.10 kernel.  i don't know what BIOS versions are
available nor do i know how to name mine.  my thinkpad is
a 770Z.

suggestions/thoughts/comments?

/mark