[ltp] 6.1 mostly there but 2 issues

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:18:55 -0400

    I 've installed RH 6.1 on my 770E without serious hangups.
Im using the XFree86 that came with the install (3.3.5-3)
which seems to recognize the Cyber9397 (not DVD)

However  there are two rather annoying issues.

I see screen flashing which is very annoying. (once every 1 - 10
seconds)
I have not played around much with the modeline settings or the vsync
etc. Any suggestions? (im using the modeline and other stuff from bill's

page with only changes to use a fontserver instead of a fontpath)

The other problem is the sound. While i have it working okay, there is
an
annoying click before sound is made.  In addition xmms warps the sound
when i move windows
around on the display.  This does not seem to have do to with processor
load since
I can load up the system  using rc5des niced to 5 without any effect if
i'm not running x

I am loading the sound modules dynamically which may be part of the
problem

I am planning to do a kernel rebuild with the right sound opts built
in.  That may remove the click.
I will also fool around with my XF86config  but im not exactly sure what
to poke at to get this screen
flicker taken care of.

Any tales of your adventures would be most welcome!

thanks

brad