[ltp] Newbie on the list..

Campo Weijerman linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:05:18 +0200

Hi,
Maybe you're loading up the machine too heavy. I had a 760EL: a P133,
with 48M of RAM and the 800x600 TFT screen, and a 1GB drive. That's
probably comparable to your setup.

If you're running a lot of graphical apps (KDE, SO), then you may
quickly run out of RAM, then the machine starts paging to disk, and the
1G drives aren't the fastest in the world.

Try running xosview to see what your machine is doing. Is it using all
RAM, is it running the CPU at 100%, is it doing lots of I/O?

Also, some laptop displays feature slow updates, you could try attaching
an external monitor to see if it makes any difference.

A machine like yours can make a good linux workstation, but you should
be a little bit conservative with the number and kind of apps you run in
parallel.
Regards, Campo
--
Campo Weijerman <campo@raleigh.ibm.com>